- need to be quite so noisy
- congregate around light fittings when the lights are not even on
- like to settle on the screen of the TV when I'm trying to watch it
- always turn in right angles when there are no obvious barriers in their way
Mr TH gets even more irritated than I do & has been known to vacuum them up with the hoover nozzle. Despite the fact that this has high entertainment value for me, I do prefer to by fly-free.
There are obvious ways to deter flies such as keeping all surfaces clean and clear of food & food debris.
Additionally, you could rummage in the household cupboards...
- put strong smelling spices/herbs (cloves, mint, basil, bay, etc...) in a dish near the window/door.
- spray the flies with hairspray (acts in a similar way to fly spray).
- create a room fragrance spray by adding a few drops of essential oil to a small spray bottle. Flies really dislike the smell of lavender and eucalyptus. Alternatively, you could use other oils such lemongrass, citronella or clove.
- spray them with strong tea (probably not a good idea inside your house).
- plant rue, lavender or bay near your window/door.
- put dots of a strong smelling essential oil along the bottom of curtains/blinds. (Please be aware that oil may stain some fabrics/damage paintwork. Always test first or put oil on pieces of fabric/cotton wool/absorbent paper & put in saucers along a windowsill. Alternatively dip cocktail sticks in the oil and put them in a cup on the windowsill).
To attract flies;
- buy a carnivorous plant.
- encourage spiders.
- hang a bunch of sage leaves from the ceiling (I've seen it work- the flies like the smell of sage & congregate around the leaves instead of the rest of the room).
- use good old fashioned fly-paper).You could make your own using jam/ honey/syrup/treacle/beer, etc...messy but less chemicals than the real thing!
- set up a jam jar trap by adding a small amount of sticky sweetness (see above) & water to a jar. Hopefully, they will spend their time there instead of irritating you.
What works for you?