I have intended to make it for years. I have had the recipe, cut out of a magazine, waiting for me but never quite got round to it...
Inspired by all the crafty goings on in the Making Winter December Blog Hop, I decided to give it a go.
Here's what I did...
I put 450ml of warm water in a pan & stirred in 3 sachets of powdered gelatin (approx 30-35g gelatin). This was probably the trickiest part of the whole process as it did go a bit lumpy. If you are going to have a go, I would recommend thoroughly reading the instructions on your packet of gelatin- needless to say, I didn't!
Add 700g sugar (yes, I baulked too!), stir & return to the heat stirring gently until the sugar has dissolved.
Bring to the boil & then reduce to a simmer for 20 mins.
|It did not look appetising at this stage...|
It looked horrible so I scooped off the scum & let it cool for about 15-20 mins (by this stage it was much thicker but not set)
Then I stirred in 2 teaspoons of rose water & a cap of red colouring.
I lined a straight edged baking dish (approx 20cm square-ish) with greaseproof paper.
The mixture needed to set overnight so I took the dish to my chosen spot. (In order to avoid having to walk with a full tray of liquid, I poured the mixture into the dish in situ.)
|At this stage I still thought it looked unappetising..|
The following day; I turned the slab of jelly onto a board covered in icing sugar, sliced it into cubes & drenched them with even more icing sugar.
|I cut 48 large cubes from the slab|
Needless to say, I had a taste (or 2 or 3... as did Mr TH). Our conclusion; it is much more delicate tasting than shop bought ones & much more 'jelly-ish' with a comically wibbly wobble to it!
I will keep some for us & the rest has been wrapped up as presents for friends.
I shall make it again next year- maybe a lemon & pistachio or lime one next time...