At the moment we're trying to shop locally & reduce our supermarket shop to a bulk buy every few weeks. So our increasingly less frequent trips to the supermarket now involve trying to remember to take...
- the shopping list (we have one on the side of the fridge so that the person who uses the last of something adds it to the list)
- our own bags (easy as we leave them in the boot of the car)
- the bag of plastic containers to recycle
- the bag of stretchy plastic to recycle
- the empty washing-up-liquid bottles to refill if we're going past the place that does refills.
|large milk ice cube|
Recently these bags of milk have been on special offer in all the local supermarkets so we bought lots & froze them. Then an accompanying jug (jug-it) was being heavily 'encouraged'. We deliberated but when, back in July, it was on special offer at 1p, we caved in & bought it.
The idea is that you put the plastic bag of milk in, secure with a clip thingy & then pierce it with the plunger thingy. Mr TH is pretty good at this, I am terrible. When I assemble the jug-it, milk sprays everywhere, I get annoyed & have to resort to decanting all of it into a real jug.
|My Granny milk jug cover|
But, I know that I am still saving packaging & money as the plastic bag can be washed & recycled.
So my next aim is to reduce our plastic waste even more (& learn how to put a bag of milk in a jug-it!)...