- Do I really need this?
- What is its life cycle? What went into making it (time, labour, resources)
- What are the alternatives?
- Where did it come from? How did it get here?
- What is its environmental and social impact?
- Who benefits from the purchase? What will it do for me?
- What's in it? Who made it?
A sewing machine cannot be classified as food or travel or medical (unless you include sanity?)
There followed about 30 seconds of anguish during which I reviewed the questions above & persuaded myself that spending money on a repair is acceptable & is within the 'rules'. (The alternative was using my mother-in-law's sewing machine that Mr TH mended & now only stitches in zig-zag..)
I phoned the repair man.
I'm taking my machine over to him this afternoon...